Monday, February 06, 2006

The 2006 Super Bowl is over and today, the day after, more was said about the commercials and halftime entertainment than the game itself. Pittsburgh defeated Shaun Alexander and the Seattle Seahawks. Nothing against Pittsburgh, but I really was hoping Alabama graduate Shaun Alexander's team would win.

I've been listening to the Paul Finebaum sports talk show in the afternoons. I heard more talk about the Rolling Stones performance in the halftime show than talk about the game itself. That's fine with me. As much as I like sports, I'm not a huge NFL fan.

There seems to be a lot of criticism of the Stones. I'm not even a huge Stones fan, but I think they were very entertaining. Notice what I didn't say, "they were very entertaining for their age." I could have said that, but I intentionally did not. I really enjoyed their performance.

Now I will talk about their age. I grew up thinking that Keith Richards looked like he had one foot in the grave even 25 years ago. Somehow these guys have held on and are still going strong. I suppose (and hope) that maybe they have lightened up or quit the drugs. As a 40-year-old, I must admit that I wouldn't be able to strut around the stage as well as Mick Jagger did at age 62.

Paul McCartney's performance at last year's Super Bowl was better. I admit, though, that I'm biased. The Beatles/Stones rivalry goes back more than 40 years. I've always been partial to Paul.

Before you laugh, somebody tell me which 20 year old performer from 2006 will be entertaining at Super Bowl 80!

No comments: