Sunday, June 25, 2006

Saturday's Stars Game


Matt's team party was Saturday. After a trip to Terry's Pizza on South Parkway, we all headed to the Huntsville Stars baseball game versus the Chattanooga Lookouts. Huntsville is in the AA Southern League of Minor League Baseball. The team was founded in 1985 and is currently the AA affilliate of the Milwaukee Brewers organization.


Saturday was free bat night at Joe Davis Stadium. The kids all received free bats and my boys obtained some autographs, especially my oldest son, David, who got around a dozen.




Joe Davis Stadium was considered "state of the art" for minor league baseball when it was built back in 1985. Joe Davis was the mayor of Huntsville who was instrumental in bringing minor league baseball to town. He was also the mayor during the years of unprecedented growth during the 1970's. During the past year it has undergone some much needed renovations, including new seats. One of the best things the park to me has always been the view. The mountains east of Huntsville, including Monte Sano, create a scenic backdrop.

I had season tickets to the Stars during their first few years in Huntsville. I got to see many future major league players rise tthrough the organization, such as Mark McGuire, Jose Canseco, Terry Steinbach, Walt Weiss, and many others during the 1980's and 1990's.


Despite the 4-3 loss to the Lookouts, the boys all had fun! One of the best moments was when Lookouts player Noochie Varner lined a foul ball into our section. Matt's teammate, Landon, had the ball hit the back of his seat and ricochet against his back and land next to him. I reached back and got the ball. I gave it to Landon and told him that he earned that ball the hard way. He had a big red spot on his back that will turn into a nasty bruise. I hope, though, that he always remembers the excitement of getting the ball! I think I won a friend for life after I gave him the ball!

Game summary from Lookouts website.

No comments: