Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Managing Debut

Tuesday March 13, 2007 at 5 p.m. I made my official debut as manager of a baseball team. My son is on the 9&10 year old team this year and we had our first practice. I introduced myself to the group of parents, spoke to a couple of the dads about helping me as assistants, and spoke to the team.

I introduced myself to the team and called each of their names out from the list and aked them whether they played baseball before, how long, and what positions they have played. I then let them pair up and play catch. The assistants put out the bases while I watched the boys playing catch. I then split them into two groups; half in the infield and half in the outfield. The assistants hit them grounders and pop-ups while I looked on. We also let two of the boys who have pitched before throw to the coach as he hit grounders. I also hit some to the outfielders.

After a break, we swapped the infielders with the outfielders. We made them all do some running. I then talked to the team briefly at the end of practice. I encouraged them to play catch and go to the batting cage whenever they could. I told them that if they don't have many opportunities to play catch, they could throw a tennis ball against a wall. I told them that we have a young team and that we may win all or none of our games but that my goals were that everyone has fun, everyone learns something, and that everyone plays a lot.

This should be an interesting year!

2 comments:

Sharp said...

As long as they don't try to drag you into salary negotiations, you'll do fine. Just be fair and firm when they get arrested or test positive and don't tell the reporters what you really think will happen before the game starts.

Mike Wilhelm said...

Good advice! I think I'll take it. That must be a page out of the Lasorda, Larussa, or Cox books.