Friday, June 01, 2007

Vacation and Quality Time

This is my favorite time of the year. I am a single Dad of three wonderful boys. School ended today, baseball is ending, and I am taking my boys on an extended (and well-deserved) vacation. I have been working and saving my leave all year for this. We are going to Galveston and Dallas this year. My oldest son is a huge Sammy Sosa fan and I am hoping he will get a chance to meet Sammy, get his autograph, and watch his 600th home run in person. That would make his decade! This will likely be some of our best quality time.

I do not have my boys all of the time so I have a special challenge. I spend the time they are not here (or asleep, as they are now) taking care of business (washing clothes, paying bills, commenting on your blog, sending weather reports to James Spann, etc.). When they are here, I think I have learned to appreciate these times more than I ever would have before I became a single dad. Even though I was always a "hands on" dad, I think I used to take our times together for granted much more than I do now. I think the Lord has a way of taking a situation that the devil meant for harm and turning it into a victory. These days pass so quickly. We MUST make the most of them and live so that we have absolutely no regrets.

If you have any suggestions for places to visit or eat in Dallas, please let me know!

I cannot wait to make some great memories with my boys during the next few weeks.

4 comments:

Sharp said...

Hope you guys have a great time. And I appreciated "Cat's In the Cradle" playing over that!

Mike Wilhelm said...

Thanks so much! I sure hope my vehicle holds up! I alreasy have 240 k on it!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya man...

Fill up the digital camera. Hard drive space is cheap!

Mike Wilhelm said...

I filled up the camera and broke it...I got a lot before it was too late, though!