Saturday, June 16, 2007

Vacation Day Five - Thursday June 7, 2007

We started the day off by spending a good deal of time swimming in the pool at the hotel. I thought I'd never get used to that cold water. I think it bothered me more than it did when I was younger. Once I got used to it, the four of us had lots of fun. We would pair up, and do sneak attacks on each other when we said the code words. Joe's code word with me was "hamburger" and David's was "macaroni and cheese". Imagine that. After getting out of the pool, we made a sign for David to take to the game about Sammy Sosa.

We then left, got gas in the car, and ate pizza at a convenience store down the road called "Pouty's Pizza" the pizza was fine, but the wings were awful because they were so dry. from there we went on to the game.


We had lots of fun before, during, and after this game. It was probably the most fun we have ever had at a ball game. All three boys got a major league baseball. First, Curtis Granderson of the Tigers threw one over to me which I gave to Joe. Matt and David were together behind the dugout.


Rangers pitcher Robinson Tejada signed autographs for the boys. Here he signed one for David. Before he left the area, I asked him if he thought Sammy Sosa might come out. He kind of doubted it. I pointed at David, who was standing behind the Ranger's dugout holding his Sammy Sosa sign, and told him how big a fan he is of Sammy.


Another pregame highlight was meeting Detroit closer Todd Jones. Before Todd came over, Curtis Granderson threw two more balls to kids. Guess who he threw them to? That's right it was David and Matt. They were not right with Joe and I at the time. I became a fan of Mr. Granderson right then as he had "treated" all three of my boys to a major league baseball. The cool part of it is that he probably had no clue that the three kids he threw balls to were all brothers!


On to the Todd Jones story. As he was walking around the batting cage I got his attention and he walked over to where Joe and I were standing. I told him that we were from Alabama too. He shook my hand and asked us how we were doing. I would have been able to talk to him more except for the next little distraction! David got my attention and threw his baseball to me for Todd to sign. Todd signed it then Matt decided that he would do the same thing. The only problem was that Matt inadvertently fired his ball out onto the field! It wasn't until after Todd Jones left that I was able to convince the security guard to give us Matt's ball back.


As if that wasn't enough fun, we had a little more excitement just before the game started. Our seats were just off the right field line so the boys stood close to the field while the Rangers players were stretching and running sprints before the game. David got a thrill because Sammy Sosa saw his sign and acknowledged him twice. First he nodded and pointed and then a few minutes later he gave David the "thumbs up", before he ran into the dugout. I wish he had come over so David could have met him, but it was the next best thing I suppose.


Also before the game, right after the National Anthem, Kenny Lofton signed a couple of autographs for the kids on his way to the dugout. That was thrill to the boys who also really like him. Joe got Kenny to sign his new Ranger's jersey.




Sammy Sosa on deck. He was 0 for 5.


Gary Sheffield hit another home run.


Tigers coach Andy Van Slyke and second baseman Placido Polanco, who was 2/6.


Rangers closer Eric Gagne. He lowered his ERA to 0.64.


The rangers ended up losing the game 11-4.


Mark Teixera hit a ninth inning home run off Yorman Bazardo.


This was Sammy's last at bat. We were able to move right behind the Rangers dugout by the ninth inning.


Tigers first baseman Sean Casey.


Kenny Lofton. After the game, at the last minute I decided to stop by the Rangers souvenir shop before we left. As soon as we stepped in the door the staff treated David like a celebrity! Everyone in the store (clerks, security, etc.) kept going on and on about how they just saw him on TV behind the Rangers dugout holding up his Sammy Sosa sign. We stopped at another store and the same thing happened. David bought a Texas Sammy Sosa tee-shirt/jersey, Joe bought a Rangers hat, and I bought a rangers hat. I kept telling David that he was the "talk of Texas!" We had a great time and we were all on cloud nine as we walked to our vehicle. David had to call my mom again and tell her all about it! Thanks, Lord for a very special evening with the boys!

No comments: