Sunday, September 09, 2007

This weekend with Mom and Dad

My parents (who are 77 and 74) were diagnosed with colon cancer nine and ten years ago, respectively. They have been cancer free and have experienced the happiest years of their lives and marriage since then. My Mom retired from being a nurse and decided to keep busy by working at JCPenny's in Huntsville 12 years ago. She is still their most reliable employee 12 years later, even at age 74. Part of me wants her to stop, but I know that she enjoys working with people and this is her outlet. It is probably good for her. She really doesn't need the money. She is so dedicated and faithful to my Dad, me, my sister, my children, and her job. People in my generation (I'm 42) and younger that have that type of dedication are so much harder to find. My Mom and Dad seem to live for being a blessing to others.

Since I am divorced, this was the weekend I didn't have my boys. I am very much single and haven't really dated in the last couple of years. I had several things I could have done this weekend. I always have to decide what to do with my time when I cannot be with my boys. I had an opportunity to go to the Bama game Saturday in Nashville. I decided to visit with my parents instead. I am so glad that I did!

Every time that I do something with them, I always think that it may be my last opportunity. My Dad took me to my first Bama game in Birmingham in 1975 when I was 10. As I was driving towards Huntsville on I-565, I couldn't help but think, "This may be the last time I watch a Bama game with my dad." That may sound maudlin, but it's my way of trying to appreciate the opportunity that I still have.

This may sound almost silly, but I wished that I had taped my conversation with my dad during the game.

My parents, and thousands like them, are truly part of the "Greatest Generation" that Tom Brokaw wrote about in his book by that name.

1 comment:

Sharp said...

Great post, Mike. It's not morbid to remind yourself of that. In fact, it shows an awareness of how much they mena nad how we don't know the future. Really, it could apply to anyone we know but especially to those who are older.

As for the Greatest Generation, make sure to watch The War!