Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Spring Break 2006

I've been away from the blog now for several days. I took the boys to LA for spring break. Lower Alabama, that is. On Friday March 17, after work, we ate out at Chic Fil A and shopped for food and supplies at Wal Mart. As soon as I got them home, I let them have a "Fear Factor Push Up" for dessert, tucked them in, prayed, and told them a bedtime story. They were asleep by 8 or 8:30. Unfortunately, my work had only begun. I stayed up until almost midnight packing and preparing for our trip.

We woke up at 4:45 a.m. Saturday morning. We left the house at 6:09 and arrived in Gulf Shores at the State Park campground 325 miles later at 11:15 a.m. While we watited to register for our campsite, I made the boys peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and we threw the football. The weather was partly sunny and in the 60's. It took us about an hour to get registered and another hour to pitch our tent and set up our site.

Then it was off to the Gulf Shores public beach area. We were charged $5 to park, which was new to me. I don't remember being charged to park there before. We were on the beach almost all afternoon, though, from 1:15 until 5:45. It was pleasant on the beach but it was a little on the cool side. The skies were mostly cloudy and temperatures were in the upper 60's with brisk winds. The boys got in the water and David stayed in it quite a while. It was just too cold for my 40 year old body. We had a great time and the weather was certainly a lot warmer than it was in North Alabama.

After the beach, we went back to the campsite, took showers in the bath house, and got ready to go out to eat. At the boys' request we ate at Lamberts, home of the 'throwed rolls'. It's always fun to eat there and the food is good. The servings are large and the pass-around vegetables and rolls are always a treat. You also get sorghum molasses or apple butter to go on the rolls. Pass arounds include black-eyed peas, macaroni and tomatoes, fried okra, and my favorite, fried potatoes with onions. The boys each ordered the kid's meal of hamburgers, french fies, and apple sauce. Yes, they made it easy on the waiter! I ordered the fried chicken wings, green beans, and mashed potatoes and gravy. To me the food was great, but we spent $30 real fast there. The kids meals were $5.50 each.

Anyway, we had a great first day of Spring Break on Saturday March 18, 2006. I will post more later.

No comments: