Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Fighting cancer

Brenda Ladun of ABC 33/40 News in Birmingham is fighting cancer again. She started a blog this summer and since then she was diagnosed with the same cancer that she fought so courageously a few years ago. She seems to really exhibit the ability to have a positive attitude and be thankful for what she has rather than getting down about what she does not have.

It reminds me of the story I heard recently about a 92 year old man whose wife had recently passed away and he was being taken to a nursing home. When asked about the situation, he commented, "I really like my new place." He was then reminded that he had not even seen the place yet. He acknowledged that and said, "I know. I made a decision long ago to be thankful for and like what I have rather than to despair over what I do not have."

Life is a series of decisions and choices. Those who are happiest think like the old man in the story. That is easier said than done sometimes so we really have to work at it and ask the Lord to help us mature in that way.

It reminds me of the verse that says, "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience." James 1:2-3

No comments: