Thursday, February 02, 2006

Tonight I will comment on another item from the President's "State of the Union" address.

"Year after year, Americans are burdened by an archaic, incoherent federal tax code. I have appointed a bipartisan panel to examine the tax code from top to bottom. And when their recommendations are delivered, you and I will work together to give this nation a tax code that is pro-growth, easy to understand, and fair to all. " - President Bush

I certainly agree with President Bush's description of our tax system. Without a panel, I could give you a better system. Back in the 1996 Republican Primaries, I remember Steve Forbes was the man with the plan. Speaking of the current income tax system, he said we should scrap it, destroy it, and bury it, and replace it with a flat tax. There are things I like about the flat tax, and some things about it that are not perfect, but it is better than the current system. There have been other proposals, too, that might even be better, such as a national sales tax that excludes food and other necessities. The bottom line: Almost any system would be better than the one we have now.

No comments: