Monday, June 19, 2006

An Awesome (Father's) Day

I am a father. I have three boys if you haven't figured that out already! I am so blessed. Despite some problems, I love my life and I am thankful to the Lord for blessing me so much. Think about this: anyone can complain about something that has gone wrong in their life. That's too easy. I don't care what your circumstances are; I hope you know the Lord and how good He is to you. I can certainly testify that He has been faithful to me through the worst of circumstances. I have been blessed with three boys who have accepted Jesus as their saviour and if nothing else good was to happen in my life, that would be enough. Thank you Lord. Somehow, I think You will do even more!

Yesterday was a great Father's Day. I woke up at 6:00, eagerly anticipating my time with the boys. I got a bath, dressed, and was off to pick them up at their mom's at 7:45. They were ready, albeit half-asleep. We rode home to Vinemont. After breakfast, I made sure they all took a bath and brushed and flossed their teeth before church. I was defeated in an Xbox baseball game by David. Joe shot his bb gun in the yard. Matt hung out and got ready. This was not spiritual, I know, but we listened to WXRT Chicago online for Terri Hemmert's "Breakfast With the Beatles" program. Hey, it was an historic day, musically, being Paul's 64th birthday.

Anyway, I wondered at one point if the boys would even remember that it was Father's Day. That concern was put to rest when Joe and Matt walked into the house with a flower and said "Happy Father's Day!" Yes, my heart melted! By the way, David later also told me the same. We headed for church at 9:45. As is the norm, we took time to pray together. We went to Journey Church in Eva, Alabama. The pastor preached a great message. He reminded us dads that our greatest resonsibility and highest calling was to teach our children about Jesus. He instructed the children to ask their dad who is Jesus. Another thing the pastor mentioned was the gift of letters from fathers to children. I took that as an affirmation. That's one of the main purposes of this blog. If David Michael Wilhelm, Joseph Patrick Wilhelm, and Matthew Ryan Wilhelm ever read this in the future, they should know one thing above all: their Dad loves them with his whole heart!

After church, we rode home, had a frozen pizza for lunch, an awesome smoothie for dessert, and then headed out to Matt's all-star game. Matt's team won the 2:00 game by default - the other team didn't show up. Then we had 3 and 1/2 hours to kill. Matt's team practiced a little while. Then I surprised the boys by taking them to the matinee of the movie "Cars". I was pleasantly surprised by that movie. I really enjoyed the moral lesson of love at the end of the movie.

Matt's team lost the 6:00 game. Matt was 1 for 1 with a double. After the game the team went to the Dairy Queen in Hanceville. Joe sat with me and we had a good time. I got hugs from all three boys at the end of the day. Now that's a great day!

No comments: