Thursday, July 20, 2006

Wednesday 7/19/06 - Chicago









My sister took the day off and we spent the day hanging out with her. My original plan was to take Matt to Wrigley Field but due to threatening weather I decided against it. The rain held off so we could have gone to the game. It was a classic matchup. Houston's Roger Clemens was pitching against Cubs hurler Greg Maddux. Both pitchers are a lock to enter the Baseball Hall of Fame during their first year of eligibility. That is if they ever retire. Clemens and the Astros ended up defeating the Cubs and Maddux 4-2.

I think we have eaten pizza at least once per day ever since we arrived in Chicago. We started small, heating up frozen pizza. We then moved up to Little Caesar's. If you have three boys, the large pizza for $5 at Little Caesars is a hard deal to pass up. On Wednesday, though, I turned the pizza eating up a few hundred notches. I ordered a pizza from Giordano's. Giordano's has been rated the best pizza in Chicago by many organizations, especially for their Chicago style deep dish pizza. The NBC Today Show, Fox Chicago, Chicago Tribune, and the NY Times have all given this honor to Giordano's.

I took David and Joe with me to pick up a large pepperoni deep dish pizza at the Giordano's on Milwaukee Avenue at Logan Square. Giordano's has over 40 locations. When the older gentleman at the counter looked at my ID he said, "Ahhh, Alabama!" He said, "It must feel like you never left," referring to the recent heat wave. The pizza was delicious and I certainly understand why it has been rated the best in Chicago by so many.

My sister took the older two boys shopping while I hung out with Matt. Matt and I made a run to Walgreens. They went to the pet store and she bought a few things for the new kitten and she also took them to Target. She bought them the two "Like Mike" movies on DVD which they watched in the evening. She also took them to Chuck E Cheese for a little while.

Cara made her famous baked chicken for supper. It was delicious as always. We watched Rockstar Supernova with her at seven and watched the Cubs game on TV while we played Trivial Pursuit. Trivial Pursuit is sort of a tradition for my sister and I whenever we get together and the boys have really gotten in on the act during the past few years. The team of Cara and Matt won, followed by the team of Joe and Dad, followed by Team David.

Of course we all held, watched, and played with the kitten, as we have every day.

No comments: