Sunday, January 07, 2007

Fun Times...



I really enjoyed the times with the boys since Thursday night. That night I gave them the autographed football that Alabama quarterback John Parker Wilson signed earlier in the day for me. I also gave them each the collector's edition of the Tuscaloosa News about the hiring of Coach Nick Saban. They played their new drums for the first time and watched some of the sports news with me. We had ham and blackeyed peas for supper.

Friday night I gave them each the Ronald Steele backpack that I was able to get when I visited the University on Thursday. I brought home two little Caesar's pizzas for supper which were enjoyed by all. We played drums, Xbox, wrestled, and generally had a good time.

Saturday we practiced baseball over at the Vinemont ball field, watched some of the Alabama basketball team's loss to Arkansas, burned branches in the backyard in our burn pile, and did some grocery shopping. After the shopping, David and Joe attempted to make sausage and pancakes for supper. The sausage turned out fine, but they ended up asking for my help with the pancakes. We learned that it's impossible to make an edible pancake if the batter is only slightly thicker than water.

Saturday night we watched the movie, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" on VH1. The boys had not seen it before. They enjoyed watching this bit of 1980's fun every bit as much as I did. We started to watch M*A*S*H, but about an hour into the show, around midnight, I realized that we were watching the final episode that was over two hours long. They were disappointed, but I made the decision that we needed to get to bed or we wouldn't feel like getting up in time for church in the morning.

Today we did get up in time for church and went to the 10:45 a.m. service at Northbrook. We stopped at Wendy's for a burger for lunch. We drove home in the middle of a torrential downpour. We played Xbox games such as bowling, baseball, racing, and basketball. The boys drummed and David played his CD's and Joe shot his bb gun out in the yard after the rain ended. As usual, I think I did a pretty good job spending focused time with all three boys as well as some quality on-on-one time.

Since I don't have them all of the time plus the fact that these days pass so quickly and will never come again, I try to really focus on them and appreciate these moments in time.

1 comment:

Tom said...

`Sounds like it, Mike.

You know I've always admired you as a father.

But, hey, it helps to have the best Father of all.