Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Just a little update...

Most of my recent time has been highlighted by practicing baseball with the boys. I am coaching Matt's team in the 9-10 age league (but our team is really ages 8-9). Frankly, we are short on talent, but hopefully rich in terms of fun, learning, and opportunity. Since my last post, I have learned the boys' names pretty well, we have had great participation from parents (3 men have been assisting me and one of the mom's has taken the uniform ordering duties and run with it). I am so fortunate because these folks are making my job much easier. I have a good idea now where of generally who i think will pitch, catch, play infield, and play outfield. We have had a few practices lately where we have started to "simulate" game conditions a little more. Opening day id April 14.

Last night Joe had a practice game in Fairview. He did well. In his only at bat he walked. He played left field and did a good job fielding a grounder cleanly and getting it in quickly and accurately. Before his game, I played some basketball with David and Matt. I also enjoyed playing catch with David while we watched the game. Those are precious moments to me. I think that I must have really injured my arm last year. I cannot throw with any velocity with my right arm and if I do much at all it gets very sore and painful for days. I am learning to throw more left-handed to compensate.

One of the best moments lately was last Thursday when I surprised the boys with the news that I would be taking them to the Aaron's 499 NASCAR race at Talladega on April 29th. I am not a NASCAR fan but they are! You should have seen their faces light up. Maybe I can add a photo soon to this post, showing their reaction.

Last weekend we visited my parents. Saturday morning we practiced baseball, Saturday afternoon we mowed, ate a great lunch, then drove to Huntsville. We took the scenic route and the boys enjoyed driving by our old home at Oden Ridge. Later Saturday we washed and cleaned the inside of my car and my Mom's car. Joe also mowed their lawn. All three of the boys worked hard and did a real good job.

Sunday April 1st was the first baseball game of the year, between the Cardinals and Mets. Monday was opening day for the rest of the teams. The Braves won and their new bullpen, with Wickman, Soriano, and Gonzalez appears to be all that it has been advertised. Renteria hit two homers and McCann hit one. The Cubs lost to the Reds as Pete Rose attended the game and sat behind home plate with Johnny Bench. I ordered MLB Extra Innings on Direct TV. It was cool watching Sammy Sosa's return to MLB in the Rangers' loss to the Angels. Fantasy baseball has started as well. I am in a league with my best friends. I also have another league with my sons and my sister.

I recently completed watching the 10 DVD set of "Baseball" which was a 1994 documentary by Ken Burns. Watching it throughout the month of March was a good way to get excited about the upcoming baseball season. My sister and I gave it to my Dad. He watched it in January and February. Generally I give it a "thumbs up". If you like American history, nostalgia, and baseball, you will enjoy this program. My only serious complaint is that it gives way to much attention to baseball in New York and Boston and not enough to the rest of the country. Granted, the history of baseball should emphasize New England and the NY Yankees. I just think it was a little too much. My only other complaint is that the use of baseball as a metaphor for everything in life gets carried a little too far by some of the people interviewed on the program. I wish they would have had more interviews with former baseball players, managers, general managers and owners, and less with "so-called" intellectual fans. Having said all of that, this is a must see for any serious baseball fan.

No comments: