Monday, January 30, 2006

The game of college football recruiting, and I do mean "game" has gotten out of hand. 17 and 18 year old boys are proclaiming that they will "shock the world" based on where they decide to go to school. I'll be the first to admit that I pay a little bit of attention to this stuff, but not much. In four years I'll tell you who did the best job recruiting. No one can really tell you now, regardless of what they may claim.

Tim Hawthorne, a senior from Homewood High told us he'd shock the world. Reportedly his parents have shelled out over $27,000 to promote a media circus. He may be a great athlete, but I really do not mind that he's going to Auburn.

If I were a college football coach, I want a team full of reserved, yet passionate, young men who can be motivated to win as a team. You can have all of your "blue chippers". Just give me a bunch of quiet, reserved, lean, hungry, unheralded, tough, non-quitting, determined team players. Those are the type of guys Bear Bryant turned into champions.

There's my two cents on recruiting.

No comments: