Friday, January 20, 2006

In March 2005 I started subscribing to XM Satellite Radio. At the risk of sounding like a commercial, I really love it! There is so much variety. If I’m in the mood for 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, classic rock, country, jazz, easy listening, major league baseball, CNN, FOX, or over a hundred other listening choices, it’s all there in one place, wherever I go. Sometimes it’s fun to just surf through the channels because you will inevitably find something to listen to that you like. You’ll find sports talk, politics, news, comedy, old radio shows, weather, and this list goes on and on.

A quick scan through XM today revealed Simon and Garfunkel, The Beatles, Diana Ross, Tanya Tucker, Sonny James, Sugarland, U2, Elton John, George Martin Orchestra, George Benson, Stryper, Margaret Becker, Pretenders, Mick Jagger, Billy Joel, The Cars, Sade, James Blunt, Ashlee Simpson, Boomtown Rats, R.E.M., Four Tops, Neil Young, The Time, and Chopin. This was just a quick sample of some of the music that was on at one point in time that I was familiar with. This doesn’t even include sports, news, talk, and other entertainment channels.

I really have enjoyed listening to special programs, such as "Artist Confidential" in which music artists are interviewed and "Then Again, Live" where artists perform one of their classic albums live. "Baseball This Morning" is on XM 175 each and every day. XM 175 is a dream come true for baseball fans. Anytime you need a baseball "fix", that is where to turn, even in the winter. I enjoyed listening to the Senate Judiciary Committee hearings on Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito.

I could just go on and on about it. I have had the opportunity to expose the boys to music from other parts of the world, or styles that they would otherwise not have a chance to hear, such as jazz, classical, or movie soundtracks. The kids really like "Radio Disney" and oddly enough, I can actually tolerate that better than I thought I would. I never thought I’d be willing to pay for radio, but I think that it’s better than cable TV.

No comments: