Sunday, January 22, 2006




This weekend I finally broke down and purchased something that I have wanted for a long time, probably since elementary school; a complete wireless weather station. The one I purchased has all of the bells and whistles a weather fan (a.k.a. geek) would want: indoor and outdoor temperature, rainfall, wind speed, wind direction, dewpoint, humidity, and barometric pressure. It also receives the correct time from the atomic clock in Fort Collins, Colorado, which, in combination with the internal memory, helps keep historical weather data. All of this interfaces with a personal computer.

This was really a Christmas present. My Mom and dad gave me a gift certificate to Best Buy. Still, I hesitated to get the weather station, though, because the price was so high. I went to Best Buy after Christmas, but decided to wait and think about it some more. I was hoping that it might go on sale after Christmas. I also try not to make impulse purchases. I decided that if, after time, I still wanted it enough, then I would feel better about getting it. I was also hoping that it might go on sale sometime after Christmas.

Saturday when I visited Best Buy, there was a sign showing that it was on sale for $40 off the regular price, but when I checked out they started to charge the full price. I told them about the sale price. The cashier said that someone forgot to take down the sale sign from last week, but he honored the sale price anyway. I was so glad that I waited and I was very fortunate about getting the sale price. The gift certificate from my parents helped me to get something I have truly "always wanted". I have had a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer for about eight years, but this is so much better.

I have been a "Weather Watcher" for ABC 33/40 out of Birmingham for about seven years. I really enjoy doing that. The boys think it is so cool when they see our town's temperature listed on the news. My oldest two boys are now helping me post reports. Now for the fun part, installation! I am going to have to build some type of platform and find a good place in the yard to position the unit. That sounds like a project for this weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your shopping skills impress me. I couldn't have done better my self. Bravo.