Friday, August 11, 2006

Thoughts from the past few days...

I always enjoy getting any "extra" time that I can with the boys. I was especially glad to be able to do that Wednesday. I picked the boys up from school after their first day of school. I also picked them up from school yesterday. This morning was tough at first but ended sweet. David was a "bear" at first. He was so hyped up last night that he was not able to get to sleep before 11. This morning he was nearly impossible to wake up. He was nearly in a coma. After I finally got him into a semi-conscious state, it was like pulling teeth to get him to actually get up on his feet. And was he ever grouchy about it. I was being as patient as I could, but my warnings seemed to go unheeded and his back-talk was getting on my nerves. This "teenage" stuff is not fun.

Actually he's not usually that bad if he gets enough rest.Anyway, he ended up helping without too much argument. He took out the garbage and straightened up his closet. Fortunately, we had time to read the Bible and pray together. I usually pray out loud and they repeat what I say out loud. I did this today and also we prayed silently together for a few minutes. Then I prayed out loud again for a few minutes. I am so very thankful for David, Joseph, and Matthew. They are the greatest joys in my life. Have you ever had one of those times in prayer when you really felt strongly that God's presence was with you and that He was helping you and the people with you? This was one of those times for us. I even shed a few tears of thankfulness as I pondered how blessed that we are in so many ways. As we prayed, Matt cuddled up next to me and all of us seemed to have much more positive spirits after we prayed. I gave the boys each a dollar for break and watched them cross the street to the school. They all turned around and waved. It was special to me.

A few more random thoughts:

David was so very excited to tell me all about football practice. When asked which class he liked the most, he said that all of his teachers seemed equally "nice" so far. David blew me out in an Xbox baseball game. I beat him the other day. He really likes it when he beats me in a game, because it is still not the norm. Last night before he fell asleep, he told me some funny things that happened in school. He laughed about one boy who farted out loud in class and another boy who thought Kentucky was a city in Tennessee.

Joe has expressed several times lately that he would rather be outside than inside. He truly has all of the makings of an outdoorsman. He spent a few minutes each of the last two afternoons shooting his bb gun at various objects in the backyard, including a katydid. He blew me out in an Xbox football game. He was USC and I was Alabama. He got an early lead, so I had to gamble, and lost. He always wants to wait out on the front porch in the morning before we leave rather than in the house.

Matt and I played an Xbox baseball game that was older and more "juvenile" than the one I played with David. His "players" were actually clowns. I blew him out but he enjoyed every minute of it. I haven't heard him laugh so much in a while. He liked beaning my batters because he wanted the players to fight on the mound and do all of their spastic antics. I have been teasing Matt (and his brothers) a lot lately about the stuff that they watch on the Disney Channel (i.e., "Hannah Montana" and "That's So Raven") as being girls' shows. We all tease Matt about having girlfriends. If there is ever a cute girl on television, we say, "Ooh, Matt, look!" When he does, he makes this angry face at us for teasing him about it. He's so cute.

No comments: